At the beginning of the year, industry forecasts called for home price appreciation to slow to about half of the double-digit increase we saw last year. The thinking was that inventory would increase from record-low levels and put an end to the bidding wars that have driven home prices up over the past twelve months. However, that increase in inventory has yet to materialize. The National Association of Realtors (NAR) reports that there are currently 410,000 fewer single-family homes available for sale than there were at this time last year.
This has forced those who made appreciation forecasts this past January to amend those projections. The Mortgage Bankers Association, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, the National Association of Realtors, and Zelman & Associates have all adjusted their numbers upward after reviewing first quarter housing data. Here are their original forecasts and their newly updated projections:Even with the increases, the updated projections still don’t reach the above 10% appreciation levels of 2020. However, a jump in the average projection from 5.3% to 7.7% after just one quarter is substantial. Demand will remain strong, so future appreciation will be determined by how quickly listing inventory makes its way to the market.
Entering 2021, there was some speculation that we might see price appreciation slow dramatically this year. Today, experts believe that won’t be the case. Home values will remain strong throughout the year.
If you have any questions about the buying or selling process, OUR TEAM CAN HELP! Call or text me today!!!!
Read Our Client Reviews: CLICK HERE
- Buyer Resources
- Search For Homes: CLICK HERE
- Virtual Home Buying Program: CLICK HERE
- FREE Home Buyer Webinar: CLICK HERE (Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Home!)
- Download our FREE Home Search Mobile App: CLICK HERE
- Ask about our credit repair program!
- Seller Resources
- FREE Instant Access To Your Home Value: CLICK HERE
- FREE E-Book “Protecting Your Equity”: CLICK HERE (Learn the secrets to selling your home for MORE MONEY in LESS Time)
- Home Sale Concierge Program: CLICK HERE